Saturday, April 14, 2012

Flap Your Wings-a tribute to Judy Glende

It seems many truly wonderful people leave this world too soon.  Though I did not know Judy she will be missed by many.  I had a chance to read her blog and look at some of her pieces though, and she was quite an inspiration.  Here is my piece in her honor.
This is a quote pendant that reads "[Life is not measured by the number of] breathes you take, but the moments that take your breathe away."  It's 50mm or 2in tall.  I've placed cicada wings and a metal butterfly over the quote, accented with shells from Okinawa beaches, dried Queen Anne's Lace, pearls, some metal bits and a few crystals. 
I have to say the tiny shells inside the larger one is actually a complete pair.  Though adorable they were not enough of an impact so I added another pearl per my son's suggestion.  Great thanks must go to my son for the placement & color ideas for the 2 pearls on the right side of the pendant.  Sometimes you put so much thought and effort in to something you reach outside yourself and ask someone, "what do you think?"  I never expected him to say,  "you need a blue pearl one here and a pink one there."  I was impressed and followed his suggestions.
Since I've never sold my jewelry before I'd be honored to accept bids for this piece in the comments or you can email me (see link top left of blog).  I'll send the winning bidder this pendant and I'll donate the payment amount & my matching gift to the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.


I know Judy did not battle breast cancer, but this is a charity I've worked with for many years.  My mother lost her mother to breast cancer when she was only 5 years old.  Early detection of any cancer can give you more time with your family.  Be proactive.  Take care of yourself if not for you, but for those who love and depend on you.

If you would like to donate in memory of Judy Glende, these are the charities her family chose:

 The Mustang Alley Horse Rescue
1020 Walters Road
Greenville, TN 37743

or 

  Massachusetts General Hospital
 Department of Dermatology Melanoma Research Fund
 55 Fruit Street
 Bartlett Hall Room 622
 Boston, MA 02114


Thank you to Tania Spivey of for creating this opportunity 
to celebrate a life well lived.  
 

Please visit the other Flap Your Wings Design Challenge Participants.


THE PARTICIPANTS







(Amanda regretfully couldn't participant in the
 reveal but will be making a donation)

8. Kim Ballor 



11. Lana Kinney 

12. Kym Hunter 




















I must add one more thing.  You know how from time to time if you're looking you'll see little unexpected pleasures around you?  Some call them miracles.  Well, there is one hidden in this project.  For some unexplained reason the center of the quote has dark spots.  One is heart shaped the others dots.  To me it looks like a heart-shaped thought bubble.  "Think of love" or "remember you are loved" comes to mind ever time I look at this piece now.  

Remember You Are Loved!


UPDATE:  CLOSED 
The winning bid was $30. Thanks so much!
$60 will be donated to Susan G Komen in Judy's name.
(You can thank my Hubby for all these details.)

30 comments:

  1. this is such a beautiful and thoughtful piece!
    you did an excellent job. i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most amazing pendant I have ever seen. Absolutely gorgeous. Will be sending my bid to you through email!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a show stopping design! It's qorgeous Ginger!!! Thank you for all your thought and time you put in to making this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pendant is lovely! Very thoughtful and romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this! The contribution from your son, since I'm always asking my kids what they think of pieces I work on. The quote itself, and the beautiful additions make this a treasure and a joy. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a beautiful pendant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely gorgeous. Be sure to post it on Facebook, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's lovely :) So good to hear you're corrupting your son into design world ;) lol

    I don't see any mention of how big this is, but I'll definitely start the bidding :) Since I get grumpy if I see something I want to bid on and it's already out of my league after a post or two, how about a beginning bid of $8 US. That should leave plenty of room for others to get in on the fun too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in publishing the comments. It's the last day of Spring Break and I slept in. (I'm on Tokyo time here.) The pendant is 50mm or 2inches tall. Thank you for your bid and taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  9. Oh! Ginger, it is gorgeous!! I think your son helping makes it even more special! How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ... O.o hey... what happened to my post? lol I know blogger ate one I made on another blog, but this was was here the last time I came through!

    I placed an opening bid of $8 to get people jumping in and bidding :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry Skye, but sent a bid in via email and it "outbids" you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no worries, Marlene :)It's definitely worth more than my bid, but it was just to get the ball rolling anyhow. I totally expected it to jump up and out of my price range within no time ;) I was just wondering why the bid didn't show up lol The whole 'email or comment' thing is confusing since you can't see all the bids and know where you stand :)

      Delete
    2. I am learning a lot with my first attempt at a charity auction. I started by taking ques from the other bloggers involved in this tribute challenge. Thanks to all you for leaving comments so I know how to improve.

      Delete
  12. What is the current bid?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's $20. I'll try to keep the bottom of this post updated.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful pendant and what a wise choice from your son too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a thoughtful creation! Love everything in it...the quote, the butterfly, the lace, every single detail.
    Wish I could bid, its already out of reach for me right now...but..wow! its super amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That pendant is awesome! That would make a beautiful focal to any piece. Lovely tribute for Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is lovely and has so much meaning - a beautiful memorial!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ginger, I absolutely LOVE this pendant! Beautiful, Gorgeous, Amazing!!! And what an awesome tribute to Judy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pendant, Ginger! So nice of you to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great charm and tribute. Kudos to you for participating in the memorial!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely pendant! Love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK Michelle starting something I see. I'll up it to $30

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeoussss inspirational piece! Very very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Hey Thanks! I love hearing what you think.