Saturday, June 9, 2012

Curious Design Challenge

Okey-dokie! Today's the day I show you all my Alice in Wonderland inspired pieces. 
Thanks to the lovely Staci we're having a curious little blog hop today.  This was the most inspired I've been in a while.  I have pages and pages of ideas & I'm even rereading the book with my son.  My only problem is this is the busiest time of the year for me, and  I've added 2 more volunteer positions to my schedule.  Ahhh!  So here's what I've done.  Sorry they aren't all finished, but we've been given the chance to enjoy a little family getaway this weekend and I can't pass that up to sit at my work bench.


This is a polymer clay caterpillar which looks a little gonzo inspired-what a happy accident. I used clear, blue and yellow crystals with accents of pale pink size 11 seed beads and size 15 seeds in sky blue.  There is a cute rose clasp too. Sadly though it does not talk or sing.



I designed the thing, but yet I'm wearing it backwards. What!?!
I'm not sure yet what this is going to be, but I love it! It's a Tim Holtz keyhole I got from the fabulous B'sue. The chain came from a local fabric shop, and the bunny is from the great kit Andrew Thorton worked with Lima Beads to create. I just didn't receive it in time to participate in that hop.
When I made the caterpillar I made a collection of blue & white swirl beads.  Here's what I still have waiting on me.  See the giant tear drop?
Well that inspired another piece, but polymer clay wasn't going to give me the desired effect. So I contacted Raida of Havana Beads to make me some giant tears.
I love them so much!
Here's how that one is coming along. It will eventually have all the tears on it, but we're leaving in 1 hour and I've packed NOTHING at this point.
The pendant is a microscope slide cut in half.  The door images are from a postcard I received recently. Then I used my new soldering skills to make my own pendant. It's rough, but I like it.  Oh and the key was brass which didn't fit with everything else so I brushed it with crimson metal paint.

As soon as I get back I'm going to visit all these blogs to check out their pieces inspired by Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. You should check them out too.




Ginger Bishop


YOU ARE HERE!

Staci Louise Originals
www.stacilouise.blogspot.com
Our lovely hostess
Genea Beads
Jenny Davies-Reazor
Heidi Post
Donna Bradley
Linda Hanes
Birgitta Lejonklou
Libellula Jewelry & Cicada Silver
Linda Florian
Dyanne Cantrell
Nicole Valentine Rimmel
Jo in Wonderland
Fresh Baked Designs
Thanks Staci & Genea for bringing us all together! It was a great challenge.

20 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a partecipant from Italy, I like your pieces :)
    the caterpillar is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your polymer catepillar is whimsical and fun! I think your keyhole and teardrop necklace is wonderful even without all the tears on it! Thank you so much for participating! I too am off on a mini-vaca after the hop:) Have a great time.
    staci

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The soldering looks great, the caterpiiller is adorable and i love doors. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love the catapiller! I hope I spelled that right lol. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger, I love that darling caterpillar! What a unique idea. And I love the necklace you made with the lovely glass tears. And your handmade beads are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a crazy caterpillar! In the best way... I love the tears and the door! Its a more subtle ALice reference but make a beautiful necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the caterpillar!!! I had so much fun with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ginger,
    Beautiful pieces, I love the catarpiller he is so cute. The other necklace is very pretty. Enjoy your weekend.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you used a microscope slide cut in half! I used a double-sided pendant as well. Cute caterpillar, and love Raida's tears :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Ginger! Thanks so much for participating in our design challenge! I love your little caterpillar! He does look like Gonzo! he he. So awesome that you created this special piece! I love the sparkle of the crystals with the design as well!

    What a fabulous keyhole! Looks like you will have fun designing with it!

    I love the tear drops you had made for your piece!

    I'm totally loving your second piece with the doorway as well! So whimsical!

    xo Genea

    ReplyDelete
  11. What glorious ideas you had. The caterpillar is super neat. And I totally get the gonzo vibe from him as well. Fantastic! I do love that second necklace though with the teardrops. What a really cool idea! I can't wait to see the completed pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the caterpillar is adorable. Love this necklace. And the door pendant and key are a perfect reference to unlocking Alice's adventures.
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute caterpillar! The teardrop necklace matches the vibe of the book very well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. very pretty caterpillar and the rest of the treasures look great would like to see what comes out of that key hole :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love working with polymer clay and really enjoyed seeing your whimsical take on the caterpillar. Nice job!

    Zan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the caterpillar necklace, but I think the other pieces are really what the blog hops all about. They are INSPIRING so much more! You are taking it so much further, planning, growing and letting things bake. Bravo! I LOVE that keyhole piece! And I think that door piece is just going to blow my socks off in the end. I'm so loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the caterpillar you made, wow! I think my favorite piece is the keyhole with the bunny- I would love to use that in a design. I also loved the soldered door piece you made- awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari! I think the keyhole is my favorite right now.

      Delete

Hey Thanks! I love hearing what you think.